Upgrade from cobia 23.10.2 to dragonfish

Hi

i am trying simple to upgrade to dragonfish and no matter what i do its stay at cobia 23.10.2 i tryed every version on dragonfish manual install auto install and it only boots up on cobia 23.10.2 i tryed following migration guid nothing there ether hope somebody out there can help i dont want to reinstall it again

Can you explain in a little more detail exactly what you’ve done? I don’t really know what ‘dragonfish manual install auto install’ means, and I also don’t know what migration guide you’re referring to (the core to scale guide??).

You’re trying to upgrade from the WebUI, and on reboot you end up back in Cobia?
Can you screenshot System Settings --> Boot?

so Dragonfish is the latest release i use scale

so auto is just make the gui find it and install dosent work the manual is uploading the file and installing it

You’re trying to upgrade from the WebUI, and on reboot you end up back in Cobia? correct

First off, save a complete copy of your configuration file, just in case.
System Settings → General → Manage Configuration (top right corner)

In the System Settings → Update screen, did you select the Dragonfish train before clicking to check for updates?
I ask because in your screenshot, it looks like you haven’t installed the update, there’s no Dragonfish boot environment listed.

i have taken backup but my issue is ist not really installing anyting i do click confirm and dowonload the newest and push apply and reboot but ending up with no change int the boot i am also tryed manual upload it but not changing anything

I also see this trouble when attempting to upgrade from 23.10.2 Cobia to 24.04.1.1 Dragonfish.

From System Settings → Update
I selected the Dragonfish train then Download then apply pending updates.
I attempted this update twice, the second time the download was already present.

It takes a while to recover after each failure, The system stops responding to the http interface but never reboots. I’m fairly certain that reboot did not happen because my encrypted pools remain unlocked after recovery. A while later the system begins responding to the browser, but I had to reload the URL and log in again. (using Firefox from Windows 11)

After both failures, then looking at System Settings → boot
The Dragonfish update is not listed and the latest Cobia release is shown as active.

At the conclusion of each attempt the following error is presented on screen:

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py”, line 427, in run
await self.future
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py”, line 465, in __run_body
rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema/processor.py”, line 177, in nf
return await func(*args, **kwargs)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update.py”, line 286, in update
await self.middleware.call(‘update.install’, job, os.path.join(location, ‘update.sqsh’), options)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py”, line 1399, in call
return await self.call(
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py”, line 1353, in call
return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py”, line 1251, in run_in_executor
return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/usr/lib/python3.11/concurrent/futures/thread.py”, line 58, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update
/install_linux.py", line 32, in install
self.middleware.call_sync(“update.install_scale”, mounted, progress_callback, options)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py”, line 1432, in call_sync
return methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
/install.py", line 52, in install_scale
self.execute_truenas_install(mounted, command, progress_callback)
/install.py", line 83, in _execute_truenas_install
raise CallError(result or f"Abnormal installer process termination with code {p.returncode}“)
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 198, in _run_module_as_main
File “”, line 88, in run_code
File “/tmp/tmpycckg8ax/truenas_install/main.py”, line 794, in
main()
File “/tmp/tmpycckg8ax/truenas_install/main.py”, line 589, in main
enable_system_user_services(root, old_root)
File “/tmp/tmpycckg8ax/truenas_install/main.py”, line 126, in enable_system_user_services
configure_serial_port(root, database_path(old_root))
File “/tmp/tmpycckg8ax/truenas_install/main.py”, line 114, in configure_serial_port
advanced = query_config_table(“system_advanced”, db_path, prefix="adv
”)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/tmp/tmpycckg8ax/truenas_install/main.py”, line 106, in query_config_table
return query_row(f"SELECT * FROM {table}", database_path, prefix)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/tmp/tmpycckg8ax/truenas_install/main.py”, line 94, in query_row
c.execute(query)
sqlite3.OperationalError: database is locked

This error in /var/log/messages after recovery:

I found this thread describing the same upgrade failure:
truenas-scale-updating-from-cobia-to-dragonfish

The recommended approach in that thread is to capture the TrueNAS configuration then proceed to a clean install of Dragonfish followed by a restore of the configuration.

It could be a procedural issue but this problem feels like it should be reported as a bug.

my fix was the boot drive didnt work it could boot but no changes and when i tried to reinstall it there was not enough space so backed it up and change the drive and it work

Thanks for the hint. I had a drive failure in the boot pool mirror before I started the upgrade. The failed drive was replaced and the pool successfully re-silvered. Based on this success, I’m fairly certain of the pool health and that the system can write to it. The boot pool initially contained 4 backup images consuming about 10GiB of the 32GiB pool. But I could not be sure if the pool had enough storage remaining for the upgrade and the new image. So I deleted 2 of the oldest images and attempted the upgrade again with the same failure result.

I’m still stuck. :frowning_face: looking for additional ideas before I take the brute force method of a clean install of Dragonfish.