Upgrade path FreeNAS to Current

If you decide to go SCALE, I suggest going Dragonfish: lots of fixes and improvements over 23.

I don’t think we actually agreed on anything.
you noted that to keep configs and data intact, would be best to upgrade through each major release.

And Davvo did say not to use apps

Sorry to also ask… what is Dragonfish?

Plugins! Apps are a SCALE thing, plugins are a CORE vestige.

SCALE’s version 24.04.xx – iX’s likes to use fish names for their new releases.

i guess some clarification is needed here: iX announced that in time, they will abandon TrueNAS Core (you have FreeNAS which is basically now TrueNAS Core) and put all their money on TrueNAS Scale. The big difference is Core is based on FreeBSD and Scale is based on Linux.

For Core, you would be able just to upgrade to the latest level upgrading through every major release, as mentioned before. As far as i know, you might be able to save Plex by upgrading the jail with the iocage upgrade command but i am unsure if this is a reliable process. When it is stated, “don’t use plugins” this refers to Core as the original plugin section has been unmaintained for quite some time now. It would be better to use a script (like @dan 's scripts to get that done)

For Scale, you could migrate from Core to Scale through the GUI but bear in mind, your Plex instance (plugin or manual jail) will cease to run and would need to be set up from scratch in Scale.

Does this help?

Ah… Apps not Plugins… gotcha. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

does this mean jails are not needed then?

SCALE does not have jails. Well, we found a way to have them anyway.

It does clear some things up, but does not entirely help…

My FreeNAS GUI is not showing any update paths…so this is not going to help.
Why I asked what update path I should follow, then I was told to update through the major releases, I then asked what the major releases are, and there was no answer.

Does anyone have an actual link to Dan’s script?

Thank you so far for the information guys

I believe a major update is a change in .number, like from 11.1 to 11.2. @Captain_Morgan please confirm this.

1 Like

For Plex? Sure:

Its recommended as a 2 step process to SCALE:

Upgrade to 13.0-U6.1

You do have option of staying on 13.0 and using Dan’s jail/plex script.

Sidegrade to SCALE

Okay… Thank you again for the answers guys, I appreciate the help.

Sorry for being a pain about all of this, but I would rather be sure than screw it all up.

So I’m going directly to 13.0?
(will my shares and configs be kept in place?)

Then im using dans script to convert the Plex jail?

Do I convert the Plex/jail before upgrading or upgrade first?

Using dan’s script means recreating a new Plex installation, then importing the existing data.

Okay… that is good information to have, so I shouldn’t delete the current jail then.

Okay… I’m about to update to 12.0-U8

And then try run the script to update the Jail.

Not sure if its worth it though, at the moment the PLEX server isnt working anyway… so might just delete are do a fresh plex install

Scrap that last one…

I created a boot USB install media using Rufus and the Downloaded 11.2-U1 ISO
Updated and checked, all still well with new interface.

I then created another USB using the 11.2-U8 ISO
Checked - Still all good

I am now about to try update the Plex jail using Dan’s script

You need to update all the way to 13.0, first before the script will work.

I see… I found an older thread from a few years back that I posted where Yorick was helping me, and I have been following his advice

So will it be safe to continue the update and then create then use the script to create the jail?

Probably yes. Reinstalling the plex jail might require some effort. Nobody will be able to tell what exactly will happen with your hardware and your installation.

Your main problem is that all TrueNAS releases < 13.0 and their respective FreeBSD base systems are EOL. That’s why you cannot upgrade anything anymore on these. EOL means no more packages, e.g. plex.

So it’s the only way forward but prepare for a day or two without a working plex installation and some amount of work and some writing back and forth in the forum.

I really don’t mind the wait, nor the back and forth on the forums (already doing that) and a day or two without a working plex…well, if its been down for the last 4 years+ Im sure a few days will make no difference.

So currently I am on 11.2-U8, should I just make the jump to 13 from here, or continue the update train?