13.3 BETA.1 Call for Testing

Interesting. It appears and the SCALE options have been trimmed quite a bit!

What is odd is that TrueNAS Core is still not identified as such. It’s merely TrueNAS.

Yea, the CORE software doesn’t have the logic to properly talk to the update server with the CORE tagging, so we kept it just “TrueNAS” for now. Let us know if anything else looks amiss!

1 Like

Except for historians and archeologists, I don’t see any reason to consider Angelfish or Bluefin.

1 Like

So is this a typo? If so, was it fixed in BETA1?

Screenshot from tooltip with TrueNAS Core 13.0-U6.1:

truenas-versus-truenas

Is it recommended to replicate to a TrueNAS or to a TrueNAS? Which has better results? :laughing:

1 Like

It may not be fixed (I could not find in Jira). Anyone running 13.3 can verify and report the bug.

Any idea if the VM display issue will be resolved? Is it an upstream issue perhaps? It makes using a VM completely unreliable from the noVNC webpage.

I updated my 4 large systems. Running iscsi and nfs. seems to be working great!

1 Like

Any VMs?

@kspare Are you just glad it‘s working? Or do you see any improvements?

Been running 13.3 Beta since 5/8/2024, no problem for me at all, however I’m a minimalist as I use TrueNAS, only as a simple home NAS. I know, boring.

No VMs?

Not for me, I cannot run VM’s on my TrueNAS setup. TrueNAS runs on top of ESXi and it refuses to let me do it. I understand why and that is okay as I prefer to use ESXi to run any VMs, until ESXi is not longer upgradable for free to me.

1 Like

Is there anything to replace it then? I use the shell to access my jails, and I also recall that in the past I used it to issue some zpool commands when I had to diagnose/fix problems with my pool.

I use Putty (Windows 11) to SSH into TrueNAS/Iocage etc…

Yeah, I don’t want to increase my attack surface like that. I’ll have to look into alternatives for my jails, that was long overdue anyway.

Passwordless SSH is pretty secure.

Another issue with CORE shell removal is the “ps -al” like summary of system processes is also gone from the GUI since it runs in a shell window. The better solution would have been to port the allegedly-better SCALE shell into Core but the resources / will / etc. for that appears to be missing at iXsystems.

2 Likes

The jail shell is still available.

1 Like

Updated my backup server to TrueNAS-13.3-BETA1 and performed a complete replication (using my own script) and so far this looks fine.
I have several other backup pool for replication and updating replication didn’t appear to be problematic.
I have run scrub from the earlier version and this one and not issues.
Where I have issues is trying to access the CLI via the shell GUI as it appears on the GUI page, however, clicking on it cause the web interface to reload again and on the next instance, the Shell menu no longer exist (I know the Shell from the GUI is supposed to have been removed).
So I went back using Bitvise to SSH as I usually do, and this time I am not able to perform any “sudo screen” command anymore as I am getting:

% screen
screen: Command not found.

Any reasons why “screen” is no longer available?

Probably just cleanup. tmux is available.

2 Likes

Correct, I think it just fell out of the dependency tree. tmux is the preferred option we usually steer folks towards.

2 Likes