Bluetooth Passthrough to Virtual machine ASUS MB

Is there a way to pass through the built in Bluetooth on my ASUS motherboard with an Intel CPU to a virtual machine. I assume it comes through as a PCI device, but if that is the case it is not obvious which one. How do I identify the device and how to pass it through to a virtual machine if this is possible?

Assuming that your motherboard supports virtualisation & pcie passthrough, & that youā€™ve enabled relevant settings in BIOS:

1. In shell type in lspci thatā€™ll list the available PCI devices.
  2. See if anything in there can be identified as a bluetooth device
  3. Go to your VM, in ā€œVirtualizationā€ & select it
  4. Go to ā€œDevicesā€, click 'Add", make type ā€œPCI Passthrough Deviceā€, add the device ID
  5. Attempt to boot the VM
  6. If it does work & device boots, attempt to download & install drivers

Odds of success vary.

Headsup; same device that does bluetooth usually does WiFi as well. So hopefully youā€™re not connecting your NAS over wifi & trying to pass the WiFi card through to your VM.

Thanks for the reply.

Looks like it is: ```
00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 7a70 (rev 11)

Will try that and see what happens.

Good luck man - glad you found it! Naming convention on these is uhhā€¦ not always clear to say the leastā€¦

I tried passing through that device and it gave me WIFI in the VM, but no Bluetooth. I am running Ubuntu in the virtual machine. Wondering if there is another device or something that I need to pass through.

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device a700 (rev 01)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device a70d (rev 01)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Raptor Lake-S GT1 [UHD Graphics 770] (rev 04)
00:06.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device a74d (rev 01)
00:0a.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device a77d (rev 01)
00:0e.0 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation Volume Management Device NVMe RAID Controller Intel Corporation
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Device 7a60 (rev 11)
00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Device 7a27 (rev 11)
00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 7a70 (rev 11)
00:15.0 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Device 7a4c (rev 11)
00:15.1 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Device 7a4d (rev 11)
00:15.2 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Device 7a4e (rev 11)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Device 7a68 (rev 11)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Device 7a62 (rev 11)
00:1a.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 7a48 (rev 11)
00:1b.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 7a40 (rev 11)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 7a38 (rev 11)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 7a3a (rev 11)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 7a3c (rev 11)
00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 7a30 (rev 11)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Device 7a04 (rev 11)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 7a50 (rev 11)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Device 7a23 (rev 11)
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Device 7a24 (rev 11)

Stupid question, but Iā€™m 75% sure that same card gives bluetooth & wifi - did you try installing the bluetooth drivers?

Quick google-fu also advises that there is a chance bluetooth portions identify as a ā€˜usb deviceā€™ becauses it uses the USB bus? Never heard of this, but also never tried. If youā€™re not using USB for anything worth giving a try?

lsusb -t
or
lsusb

Form in question: Motherboard Bluetooth Passthrough UnRaid 6.4 to Windows 10 VM? - VM Engine (KVM) - Unraid
I had some other ones that also quoted checking random USB devices, this is just the most extensive one I found.

lsusb donā€™t seem to be installed on TrueNAS, but after sifting through dmesg log I finally thought to look at the device list presented when adding a USB device to the virtual machine. One of them was listed as Intel. Added that, and it works. Thanks!

1 Like