Dragonfish 24.04.1.1 in a VM, hangs on boot, can stall on shutdown

setting root only… no hang.

set root and static ip… hang.

guess its time to try rebooting the hypervisor.

That worked btw.

no it didn’t.

back to the random freezes

That is interesting and it seems reproducible. Hopefully you find “The” solution. You really do this forum a huge service, thank you.

1 Like

Wonder why it works for you, but definitely not for me. Even a clean install.

What is your Nic device?

Dumb question and I’m not sure if I have an idea but what does “setting root” mean. Set password, set shell? …I really dont have much of an idea but I’ll look something up and see if I can pull on that thread a little bit to see what happens and get back to you.

You think your config has something to do with it. Have you tried viewing with the DB viewer?

I mean setting a “root user” account password in the installer.

I had been testing by minimizing the changes from default.

The problem is it doesn’t fail 100% of the time, leading to false positives, so I had begun to think that using a root account vs an admin acount, makes a difference.

The latest results are I can do a clean install, with a boot device and no pool. Set either an admin password or a root password and it will hang. Typically while generating some keys.

When set to 8GiB of ram

But not 100% of the time.

It works 100% of the time with 24.4.0.

Okay, my possible dumb idea was ‘run0’ and Systemd 256. I’m going on the concept of my previous thought about “read only”.

This could be a time suck so I’d verify the versions first before going down this path.

Also, typing on my phone so not at a laptop.

1 Like

Well, you don’t really need dracut in the initrd at all anymore to have a working initrd. Except for certain kinds of exotic storage

Quoting pottering…

Wonder if ZFS counts as exotic :wink:

I shall be ordering more memory so I can embark on this journey also! See if I have the same issue if not resolved by the time I get it and install it, probably a couple weeks. I’ll probably use 16GB ram though for the VM.

I won’t be updating like you though, so it will be different than yours. I guess I could briefly try the same version as you before continuing on to Electric Eel once the docker stuff makes it to the Beta.

1 Like

Here’s another example of something that sounds very similar, but with Proxmox as the Hypervisor.

Here is a reproduction video I made.

It would be good if anyone else could reproduce…

All you need to do is create an 8GB VM with a 32GB boot zvol…

A clean install of TruenNAS will hang when running in a VM with 8GB of RAM. It works fine on all previous versions of TrueNAS (Scale, Core and FreeNAS)), including 24.04.0

In the video on a TrueNAS 23.10.2 system with 128GB of RAM and a Xeon E5-2699A v4 CPU, I setup a VM with 8GB of RAM, 4 cores, a VirtIO NIC on a bridged interface, and a VirtIO 32GB boot zvol.

I then clean install 24.04.1.1 from verified ISO, and reboot it 6 times. It hangs on startup 3 out 6 times.

I then clean install 24.04.0, and reboot it 5 times, it starts correctly 5x in a row.

The ISOs are shasum OK. I have also confirmed this behaviour on a Dragonfish 24.04.1.1 system running on a Xeon D-1541 with 32GB of RAM.

Bug Report:

NAS-129406 : Clean Install of Dragonfish 24.04.1.1 in a VM fails to boot 50% of the time, works with 24.04.0

I may have missed the real important details, among everything else, but need to ask:

Which specific vendor/version Hypervisor and any other details, not to be assumed?

I am testing on TrueNAS 23.10.2 (128GB RAM) and TrueNAS 24.04.1.1 (32GB RAM)

Those are the hypervisors. (ie Linux KVM)

The video was record on 23.10.2

Nevermind. Had to watch a video to get the important details.

Will test with raw files as all my other VMs.

1 Like

A clean install of TruenNAS will hang when running in a VM with 8GB of RAM. It works fine on all previous versions of TrueNAS (Scale, Core and FreeNAS)), including 24.04.0

In the video on a TrueNAS 23.10.2 system with 128GB of RAM and a Xeon E5-2699A v4 CPU, I setup a VM with 8GB of RAM, 4 cores, a VirtIO NIC on a bridged interface, and a VirtIO 32GB boot zvol.

I then clean install 24.04.1.1 from verified ISO, and reboot it 6 times. It hangs on startup 3 out 6 times.

I then clean install 24.04.0, and reboot it 5 times, it starts correctly 5x in a row.

The ISOs are shasum OK. I have also confirmed this behaviour on a Dragonfish 24.04.1.1 system running on a Xeon D-1541 with 32GB of RAM.

Which details did I miss?

This is why I recorded the video, to catch any details I missed.

Ok, I can confirm that TrueNAS-SCALE-24.04.1.1.iso would install under TrueNAS-SCALE-24.04.1.1 as a VM (8GB RAM, 4 core, 10GB raw disk, 1 virtio NIC, 1 Display), but in my quick testing, it hangs/freezes during boot, right after 6-9 seconds, so I can assume that this can be an issue with another version.

(Boot never went past:
Either:
middlewared: setting up plugins

or

Configure swap filesystem on boot pool.
Generating DH parameters, 2048 bit long safe prime

)

1 Like

Wait!

I did get TrueNAS-SCALE-24.04.1.1 to boot under TrueNAS-SCALE-24.04.1.1 by
changing the RAM from 8 GB to 10 GB.

After that, changed it to 9 GB and then down to 8 GB.

It booted OK a few times with 8 GB RAM, but it did freeze while booting (as above)
when I tried for the 10th, 12th time.

Oh wait, it froze after a few boots, with 9 GB RAM, also.

Not trying anymore with 10GB, there is definitely something going on with this very specific combination of hypervisor under hypervisor.

1 Like

Meanwhile, 24.04.0 will boot fine.

Thanks for confirming that’s it’s not just my system.

New 24.04.2 nightly with an updated 6.6.32 kernel.

I just tested the new nightly I was able to boot 6x in a row without hanging.

:champagne:

Will now test upgrading my demo vms (the ones I use for making videos…)