Edit User: value is not a valid email address

I have setup a LAN-only email server with domain mail.home.arpa, to receive notifications for administration purposes.

Now, when trying to set truenas_admin@mail.home.arpa, I get following error:

value is not a valid email address: The part after the @-sign is a special-use or reserved name that cannot be used with email.

I think it would be useful to loosen up this restriction a bit, so local email addresses can be specified as well. What do you think?

Don’t use arpa.
in-addr.arpa is reserved for reverse dns.

Pick something else.

I’ll add that I am aware of the RFC from 2018 regarding home.arpa, that doesn’t change my advice. It’s not worth the trouble trying to MacGyver this.

I’d be curious to hear justifications.

Please read again: arpa or in-addr.arpa are something different (except sharing same technical TLD).

home.arpa is exactly for local network configurations and private home networks, where a public domain is not desired - you already provided the RFC. Hence “Pick something else” might not be a good advice, as DNS requests have risk of being routed to public otherwise.

home.arpa works like a charm for me, no hassle.