I manage my Docker containers manually via Dockhand.
For persistent storage I mostly use bind mounts which I map inside ZFS dataset where I can set automatic snapshots.
I was thinking about using Docker volumes which are little more integrated into Docker management.
But since its meant for persistent data it must be backed up and I cant find a way to do it.
On TrueNAS, Docker volumes are stored inside hidden .ix-apps ZFS volume, specifically /mnt/.ix-apps/docker/volumes.
From what I see, this is configured globally for Docker, so all Docker volumes go there and it cant be changed.
Since this .ix-apps is hidden, I dont see any way to snapshot or backup Docker volumes inside, which is dealbreaker for persistent data.
For context, in the official TrueNAS Apps there are two main ways to save persistent data, Host Mount and ixVolume. Both are Docker bind mounts underneath. The ixVolume has confusing name because its not actually Docker volume.
So, since official TrueNAS Apps dont even offer Docker volumes, should I presume Docker volumes are not officially supported and there is no way to snapshot/backup them?
Thanks.