LXC Containers - Where are they stored

So this is an issue that is not address in the documentation and I was hoping for some clairfication

  • Am I right in thinking you can only set which pool an LXC container will be installed on? You cannot set your own dataset (eg containers?
  • Where are the containers stored?
    • <pool>/.truenas_containers/ v27?
    • <pool>/.ix-virt/containers/ v25?
  • the containers are hidden in the GUI, on purpose?
  • when you create a container, the name you give it is what is used for the containers folder? Is the name converted to lowercase?
  • Currently it is not possible to snapshot a LXC container?
    How to snapshot LXC containers in 25.10.3?
  • does anyone know what permission the LXC containers use? POSIX?

If someone could clear this up it would be very useful

thanks

I’ll have to look through my posting history because I’ve looked it up once in the last few weeks, but I’m not home right now

ok the root file system for incus container under 25.10 are stored under:

/var/lib/incus/storage-pools/containers/

but incus is not longer user, it is all LXC based?

On 25.10 incus is still the backend for lxc container, it will switch over to libvirt in truenas 26

@LarsR I thought they had got rid of that incus stuff. Thanks for the heads up, I will not even look at containers until the libvirt system is in-place. But for my notes I will get a V26 demo loaded up on VirtualBox.

Only for vms, those already got reverted back to libvirt…

Should pool names all be lowercase with no hypens.