NVME disk, can't start smart test from GUI

Hi all,
i just put a NVME disk in my system, but seems i can’t start smart test on It from GUI due to this error:

I read some post in the old forum but i didn’t find any solution…

Thanks for help!

What’s the output of camcontrol devlist? This looks like a UID issue.
What is the NVMe in question?

I would try to offline and online it, then try again.

here:

root@truenas[~]# camcontrol devlist
<TS32GSSD370 N1114B>               at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (ada0,pass0)
<WDC WD10EFRX-68FYTN0 82.00A82>    at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (ada1,pass1)
<WDC WD10EFRX-68FYTN0 82.00A82>    at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (ada2,pass2)
<WDC WD10EFRX-68FYTN0 82.00A82>    at scbus3 target 0 lun 0 (ada3,pass3)
<AHCI SGPIO Enclosure 2.00 0001>   at scbus4 target 0 lun 0 (ses0,pass4)
root@truenas[~]# glabel status
Name  Status  Components
gptid/dafe70b0-c81d-11ee-a60b-1cfd0879a7f9     N/A  ada1p2
gptid/db1a451b-c81d-11ee-a60b-1cfd0879a7f9     N/A  ada2p2
gptid/db1111a7-c81d-11ee-a60b-1cfd0879a7f9     N/A  ada3p2
gptid/b7b3c6d8-c260-11ee-8df1-1cfd0879a7f9     N/A  ada0p1
gptid/466451d7-ffa3-11ee-aa4c-1cfd0879a7f9     N/A  nvd0p2
gptid/dad498be-c81d-11ee-a60b-1cfd0879a7f9     N/A  ada1p1
gptid/4660bd22-ffa3-11ee-aa4c-1cfd0879a7f9     N/A  nvd0p1

is a consumer NVME, in the main PCI-ex expansion slot of the mainboard (obv with a controller, no need bifurcation for it can handle only 1 disk).

If can help somehow, i just

• turn off the system
  • disconnected a SATA SSD
  • connected the NVME
  • connected the previous SATA SSD on USB
  • turn on the system
  • replicated the content of the SATA SSD to the NVME
  • exported the pool on SSD
  • disconnected the SSD (but it still appear on disk list, dont know why)
  • renamed the pool on NVME

The replicated pool has only jails - script, that are running perfectly.

I also tried to run a short from shell with

smartctl -t short /dev/nvd0

with this result

/dev/nvd0: To monitor NVMe disks use /dev/nvme* device names
Please specify device type with the -d option.

but i have no idea to how rename the disk.

As always, thanks for help

1 Like

First, please state the version of TrueNAS you are using, my crystal ball dropped on the floor and cracked, now it shows bad things.

I will assume you are running CORE (what version?) based on your tags, so CORE at this time does not support NVMe self-test. You must have smartmontools v7.4 or better.

Attached is a little script I just wrote for you (kidding of course), run it. Your NVMe is named ‘nvme0’ so if you run the script, it will tell you the proper format to use it, but to make it simple, run nvme_selftest.sh nvme0 -short.

Let me know how it works out.
nvme_selftest.sh (5.0 KB)

sorry for your crystall ball :face_with_hand_over_mouth: but no need it, system full specs are on signature :disguised_face:
Anyway, is TrueNas Core 13.0-U6.1

Work like a charm. Really appreciate your help!
Now i have to run via cronjob that script, as many time i want perform a smart test, im right? Or there are some configuration to do on it?

Check out my link in my signature. This script does a lot of things, one of those is running or a short test Monday - Saturday and a long test on Sunday. You just need to create a Cron Job to run it once a day. Of course if you just needed the SMART tests, you could use the script I gave you as well and you should get an email with the results, just do not Hide Stdout.

1 Like

@joeschmuck so is this an issue related to CORE’s SMART version’s lack of NVMe support?

@Davvo Yes, specifically CORE currently has smartmontools v7.2 in the build so it cannot even run a smartctl test if done manually. I have to use ‘nvmecontrol’ to manually test and verify the results. And SCALE up to 24.04RC.1 does have smartmontools v7.4 so a person can manually run a SMART self-test, HOWEVER TrueNAS GUI in this version does not support selecting nvme drives, yet. Maybe in the final release, I hope.

One last thing, there are quite a few nvme drives that do not even support SMART self-test. The technology is getting there.

EDIT: That little script I have listed above, it will check to see if the drive supports self-test and if it does, it will run the self-test. It is a short and sweet script. Nothing fancy here.

2 Likes