QNAP TS-877 Truenas Journal

so basically it’s a false alarm. They simply assumed you are using a usb flash stick, when in fact, i am using a USB enclosure with m.2 NVME ssd which should be alright.

Ty now i feel more assured.

Although i’m not sure how safe it is running truenas OS on a single m.2 nvme ssd in this way :sweat_smile:

Originally i was gonna have the 2x m.2 sata ssd mirror each other but that’s not happening apparently.

yeah too troublesome physically removing it. doubt it uses much power. there is a setting for sleep though i’m not sure how effective that will be.

x8 won’t physically plug into a x4 slot, unless the x4 slot is physically a x8 or x16 slot, but electrically a x4

PCIe3 x4 is good for about 4GB/s, so should be plenty for a dual 10gbe NIC. PCIe2
4x would be a bit iffier.

Are the slots actually x8? Is the card electrically actually a x4?

1 Like

now trying to setup shares for docker, and another for the truenas native apps. but i’m not sure what to pick.

smb?

apps?

Dataset for use by an application. If you plan to deploy container applications, the system automatically creates the ix-applications dataset but this is not used for application data storage.

:thinking:

to me translating that based on my QNAP experience,

the ixsystems dataset looks familiar to say container station folder location which stores the data for that.

But the docker stuff, you create in a different location separate from that. And this is probably what truenas was alluding to in their comment. Meaning, i can then dump my container permanent configs in a share i call docker (for simplicity sake) then point my docker apps to that location where those container files are stored.

Question then is, how to configure that share? from what i heard, you should go services and enable nfs, because those docker apps like using that :thinking:

Apparently that’s a PCIe2 controller. So 4x is about 2GB/s but actually not quite. . Which means it will probably be slightly bottlenecked.

1 Like

well i only got those 2 pictures to go by.

in product description for the sfp+ pcie card it says

PCI-E v2.0 (5.0GT/s), X8 Lane

Yeah. Which stops it from being a bottleneck.

The 82599 was launched in 2009. It was superseded by the 500 series.

But still available… so well loved I guess :wink:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/41282/intel-82599es-10-gigabit-ethernet-controller/specifications.html

1 Like

no wonder it was cheap.

let me guess the downsides. power hungry? :smiling_face_with_tear:

all i could find was this

https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/11825vy/should_you_buy_the_cheap_dual_10g_nics_or_which/

https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/15evqqz/10gbaset_vs_sfp_in_power_consumption_in_a_reality/

The 10gbaseT versions were famously hungry

Check out the heatsink…

1 Like

i managed to setup unifi controller using truenas apps.

i’m assuming it’s a docker? it was pretty easy to install. as for backup and restore, simply just backup unifi controller configuration, and restore from that :sweat_smile:

that didn’t take long. easier than i thought it would be xd.

anyway now i got my shares setup gonna start restoring from backup. so i got to enable rsync for now :sweat_smile:

Sort of. It’s actually a Kubernetes helm chart, which does use docker type containers at the bottom of the stack.

some useful info trying to get truenas rsync to work with qnap

so confused.

trying to get rsync to work but i can’t.

from what i read they are simply saying setup SSH and it will just work. bit vague but when i tried i couldn’t.

then i even tried setting up rsync daemon but also didn’t work that way x-x;

out of ideas

Figured it out

Kept hammering at the problem non stop till i double checked what i may have missed.

This is the solution

go to truenas apps, install the rsync daemon

a few things you have to configure for it

• module name

• host path

• mode: read, write or both read & write

edit then check what the apps rsync port is
e.g 30026

then go back to HBS. Create either a one way sync or active sync depending on your requirement for a push or pull.

add the server as a rsync compatible server

and disable ssh, then in port set to 30026 or whatever port it was you saw earlier

test connection, it says working.

however i did not manage to connect with credential just yet, still figuring that one out

*update

so you got to set a password. the steps is a bit of a doozy but it’s the solution

1 Like

Authentication

By default, the rsync daemon will allow access to everything within the dataset that has been specified for each module, without authentication. In order to set up password authentication you needs to add two auxilary parameters for the module:

Parameter: “auth users” Value: comma separated list of usernames

Parameter: “secrets file” Value: path to the rsyncd.secrets file

You will have to place the file inside your module dataset and use the value: “/data//rsynd.secrets”

The file will have to be chmod 600 and owned by root:root in order for the rsync daemon to accept it for authentication.

The file should contain list of username:password in plaintext, one user per line: admin:password1234 user:password5678

stuck at this part

what file? and put where exactly?

*update

well i created a file called

rsynd.secrets

normal txt file

in location /data/rsynd.secrets

which i found using winscp logging in as root. Checked the permissions is correct and owner root.

i restart rsync daemon, then tried the credentials but doesn’t work

i sus my issue is permissions related but not sure x-x;

Ok i see what the problem is. need to add more auxilary stuff in the app via gui. fixing all that and see if that resolves.

managed to make progress. think i am on the right track.

now in hbs it merely says did you enter the incorrect password?

i had editted the file to place one credential per line as instructed. to be sure i even tried only adding 1 credential so less chance for errors. but still no dice. so not sure at this point x-x;

You will have to place the file inside your module dataset and use the value: “/data//rsynd.secrets”

file inside module dataset? whats this?

All i did was, use winscp to locate /data/ then i create a rsynd.secrets txt file with the following

admin:password1234
user:password5678

note: these are not active credentials merely an example. I’m not retardios

is it suppose to be like this? per line? so i put the next user on the next row by using enter.

I also tried 1 single user.

but credential didn’t work x-x; not sure why

Accept the UID (user ID) and GID (group ID) default 568. If you create an administration user and group to use for this module in this application, enter that UID/GID number in these fields.

so i changed the default for uid and gid to match the user i created for smb shares :thinking:

still not working