QNAP TS-877 Truenas Journal

file explorer test windows 11 from desktop to nas

from nas to desktop

not sure why one direction is significantly slow. but it’s still roughly 2.5gbe speeds :thinking:

in the other direction, sometimes it’s a blistering 700 MB/s (like you said i think there is a bottleneck from the pcie slot so it can’t reach that 10g speeds, but this seems good enough for me to not worry too much about it) but it will also at times dip down to a steady 300 - 400 MB/s.

NAS is setup with 4x 4tb HDD seagate ironwolf 128mb cache?

And the desktop has a Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe M.2 2280SS Gaming SSD

Even before when i was using QTS and the 2.5gbe NIC installed on the QNAP, it also showed this speed slowdown in one direction (from PC to NAS was drastically slower than the other direction).

But the difference now is, speeds are at least 2.5gbe stable rather than an erratic 2.5gbe than may also dip and hover at 1gbe at times. So there is that improvement.

Still don’t understand why such a disparity.

Only thing i can think is sus is windows 11 smb? :thinking:

when you think 10g is a lot, raidowl goes further :exploding_head:

doubt most people would need 10g, but it’s nice to have.

ok moving graphics to other slot 100% won’t work. it’s too big for that :sweat_smile:

so moving forward either the graphics card gets kicked out (and only reinstall when needed to access bios rarely), or i use it in the previous setup.

that said i moved the sfp+ pcie to the proper slot to avoid any possible bottleneck in performance. And also to test if it gets me to that 10g or not. Or will it just get stuck at 700 MB/s max like what i observed in the previous configuration.

I will also be doing my last share restore over rsync in this new config and see if performance has any change or not. I doubt it because the 253D is capped at 2.5gbe speeds anyway, so doubt changing the pcie on ts-877 would do anything for that (also i did hit 700 MB/s in my test so it’s not like it was lacking in the first place).

after switching pcie to the slot, ran the windows 11 file explorer test again

desktop to truenas

truenas to desktop

at most i saw truenas to desktop peak around 800 MB/s ish then it came down most of the time :thinking:

that’s my result. But basically if the pcie card was in the other slot i would probably not notice any big difference (at least to me :sweat_smile: )

Now running HBS rsync one way to restore from backup.

96 MB/s about the same as the previous config. Like i suspected it wouldn’t have made a difference since the bottleneck in this case was at the 253D with it’s 2.5gbe nics.

In summary, i am better of putting back the pcie in the other slot, so… i can then keep the graphics card in the slot without having to remove it at all, seeing as there is no noticeable downside keeping it in that configuration :sweat_smile:

if i had to guess why performance is bad, maybe i need to replace the 4x 4tb drives for 6-8tb drives and either 4-6 to get 10g speeds :thinking:

ok something odd happened earlier.

This is before i started HBS to run a new rsync.

since i had some videos already restored, i tried playing some, but the video seemed a bit laggy, that didn’t look normal.

so tried a couple also similar issue.

in networking for desktop i disable/ turn on again to see if that did anything.

sometime after that, can’t remember when, and even while i have HBS running at about 96 MB/s, it’s working fine for video playback without issue, including even the same videos that had issues before (where it was laggy and stuff).

Not sure what that was about, only that the issue resolved on it’s own :thinking:

Could this be anything related to your odd slow-mode issue Jorsher?

I’ll keep monitoring for now if it happens again.

more performance tuning videos :thinking:

I was snooping around reporting when i spotted netdata, clicked that then this popped up

wow… why doesn’t qnap, synology have something like this? when did truenas integrate this into the OS? great decision.

note: to be fair i think both can install it via their native apps. but… truenas went further by placing it in an obvious spot and making it deploy quite easily to setup with ease. that made a difference

Before i had setup Prometheus, cadvisor and grafana. Which is way more of a resource hog than netdata

this assessment clearly would be biased so take with a grain of salt. but from my own usage, when using the old setup, i did notice the storage space consumption and cpu utilization spike beyond reason. but with some tunning it became more reasonable for 24/7 usage.

Well tim suggested to use a pair of ssds for a SLOG to be able to boost performance to hit those 10g speeds.

what capacity size? any good budget recommendations? and how long for estimate life for setting in this setup as a slog mirrored :thinking: ?

:thinking:

https://www.reddit.com/r/zfs/comments/1bsx6pc/zfs_zilslog_ssd_question/

https://www.reddit.com/r/zfs/comments/1bqs0q4/ssd_recommendations_for_slog/

https://www.reddit.com/r/zfs/comments/10wyt6e/zilslogl2arc_do_i_need_it_pcie_drives_on_pcie/

https://www.reddit.com/r/zfs/comments/zyclx2/slog_usecase_should_i_have_one/

gea

20d ago•Edited 20d ago

For an Slog you need ultra low latency/ very high steady 4k write values and you need powerloss protection. Size must be at least 10 GB. The best affordable Slog is an Optane 1600 with 500000 write iops.The larger 118GB model has a higher endurance.

When an Slog fails, ZFS reverts write logging from Slog to onpool ZIL, so nothing happens. Only when the system crashed with an Slog failure, content of rambased write cache is lost. This is a very rare condition so usually a Slog mirror is not needed as you can import/use a pool with missing slog. A Slog mirror protects against this and against the performance degration when the slog fails.

well i don’t have a ups (though i probably should :sob:) so i can’t do something as risky as this unfortunately.

So only thing i can think of is replacing the hard drives for higher capacity ones 6-8tb or better with higher cache, and possibly somewhere between 4-6 hdds in raidz1 minimum.

if it were 4 ssds in raidz1 no problem, but not going that route due to price per gig :smiling_face_with_tear:

doubt the issue is networking since i’m sfp+ 10g fiber

help understanding alert: “‘freenas-boot’ is consuming USB devices ‘sdg’ which is not recommended.”

boxsterguy

4mo ago

It’s a silly warning that can’t have enough information to make a valid statement.

The goal is to get people off of using lower quality USB flash, especially as TrueNAS gets ready to remove the option to put syslog on your data pool (will result in more writes in boot). The original is the system doesn’t know what kind of storage is actually attached via USB, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with using SSDs in USB enclosures for boot. This, even though I’m using decent m.2 SSDs in a USB enclosure, TrueNAS complains because it can only see that I’m using USB as the interface and assumes I’m using USB flash even though I’m not.

The reports of USB flash death have been greatly exaggerated.

https://www.reddit.com/r/truenas/comments/18uiin7/help_understanding_alert_freenasboot_is_consuming/

like said earlier in the thread it’s a non issue. but i just added more context with more depth for others if curious.

But the dillema i am facing is, how do i stop the alerts for this? i keep getting spammed for something i’m already aware of and am okay with but truenas keeps hammering me to death with unwanted alerts x-x;

kinda reminds me of Taylor Swift’s new song Daddy :rofl:

note: in short the song flames all her hardcore fans that criticizes all her life choices (especially who she dates) and tells them it’s her choice even if she makes mistakes it’s her own life to bear them and not for others to dictate :rofl:

But in my case i’m using a m.2 NVME SSD in usb enclosure, not those *** flash sticks. So can you plz stop harrassing me as collateral damage plz :sob: this is hardly helpful

note: before any misunderstanding, unlike swift, i’m not trying to cuss out anyone lel. i just found it funny how it may apply to this situation is all :rofl:

Now doing some research on docker setup on truenas

This user had an interesting setup

found a solution for the pcie Custom PCI Slot Covers
https://www.datapro.net/cgi-bin/plate-designer-pro?shape=1P

doesn’t sound cheap :smiling_face_with_tear:

came up with this for graphics card :rofl: 25 probly not counting shipping. nuts.

im okay without the graphics but i really do need a working plate for the qxp since it’s very unstable and can get loose easily when not careful. you need the pcie to lock it in the slot properly especially when doing something important like transfers etc.

hoping for a solution to this. worse case scenario i can send it to a laser cutting place to trim the part blocking insert.

it works on a ts-253d but why on earth didn’t it fit?

found the qnap spare parts store

they do sell the face plates. price is cheaper than the other place and is designed for the qnap. and there like 3 types. Guess the one i need got misplaced somewhere and i forgot.

going to have to check the site for it or get helpdesk to point me in the right direction. i really need that part x-x;

to change truenas hostname i had to go to 3 places

1. router - use pfsense. it’s under dhcp lan. i add a static ip for the truenas mac address. there you can specify a hostname.

2. in truenas, go to network > global configuration > there you can also set hostname. you can even specify it to pick the name set by your dhcp (i didn’t do that)

3. the third and last place is in system settings > services > smb. Here you edit the netbios for the hostname.

why you have to do this in 2-3 places just to change hostname, no idea. But just changing it in #2 wasn’t enough (though i didn’t test if you pick up from DHCP toggled on would work or not).

1 Like

i checked my logs later saw this

13hours to transfer 4.1TB @ speed about 92.27 MB/s (e.g. 1 Gbps = 125 MB/s ) for HBS one way rsync to restore from backup.

progress 84%

For max performance for this TL-D400S it can hit 2.5gbe speeds. But my guess why it’s 1gbe is

1. i enabled the checksum which may slow things down
  2. because it’s not directly connected to the nas but instead through the lan network
  3. because it’s connected through SSH which is encrypted so is going to affect performance

I sus it’s #3 but either way it’s one of a couple of these which is the reason why speeds are 1gbe and not 2.5gbe which it’s capable of

But at this rate it takes about 2 days for me to recover my shares from backup. I guess that is alright but wish it was faster :smiling_face_with_tear: