Rotating Cold Spares Every 6 Months

I’d go so far as to say that while USB itself is not really an issue, most implementations are not diligent enough to be reliable for anything long term. Even on “proper servers” USB is often unreliable enough to not use it for anything important. And that doesn’t even begin to mention cables, connectors, and anything else.

I have done the big jump in the past.

once it worked great, another time caused some issues

in general I would recommend doing a release by release update.

Maybe it has gotten better but there have been a lot of changes in 25 and you never can tell when change c requires change b to have already happend.

GL

I have done the big jump in the past.

once it worked great, another time caused some issues

in general I would recommend doing a release by release update.

Maybe it has gotten better but there have been a lot of changes in 25 and you never can tell when change c requires change b to have already happend.

GL

Edit:

I noticed my footer was out of date… I am on goldeye.

once you get to the 25s or 26 they have changed the update process. Just set you self to the “General” profile (in update) and the system will keep you on a current but not early adopter version.

My plan is to try doing :

  1. export config - setup new version with fresh install - import the config
  2. if all good: upgrade the pools to new zfs version.

hope this works, since my TrueNAS is just a pure NAS. All that matters to me is the network configs, SMB and NFS, and a few zvols.

What happens to existing snapshots from previous ZFS version, as I understand there is backward compatibility and should work fine. (Any experience on this?)

This! Confusing availability with security is a dangerous trap.