TrueNAS SCALE 24.10-BETA.1 is Now Available!

We are pleased to release TrueNAS 24.10-BETA.1!

Early releases are intended for testing and feedback purposes. Do not use early-release software for critical tasks.

This has software component updates and new features that are in the polishing phase.

Notable changes:

• Dashboard reworked with more widgets, data reporting, and customization (NAS-127217).
  • Applications backend framework is shifted from Kubernetes to Docker (). See the official announcement for more information. The Custom App installation screen is disabled in 24.10-BETA.1. A redesigned screen, including Docker Compose support, is anticipated for the RC.1 version. See Upgrade Notes for more information.
  • New TrueCloud Backup Tasks with streamlined functionality for Storj iX cloud backups and restoration (NAS-127165).
  • Extend a RAIDZ vdev with individual disks (OpenZFS feature sponsored by iXsystems) (NAS-123548).
  • New global search for finding pages and settings in the SCALE UI (NAS-127224).
  • UI support for NVMe SMART tests NAS-128116
  • Align Enclosure Management code with CORE and improve the feature’s performance (NAS-123474).
  • Improved web UI tables (NAS-113063).
  • Preserve SMB alternate data streams when ingesting data from remote servers (NAS-127114).
  • Rewrite TrueNAS installer to better support future development efforts (NAS-127092).
  • The Allow root login option is removed from the FTP service (NAS-128837).
  • Implement a globally unique system ID (NAS-123519).
  • Remove creation/reporting/management of swap on TrueNAS (NAS-12887).
  • Rename the default administrator account (UID 950) from admin to truenas_admin to prevent DS conflicts (NAS-129997). This change affects fresh installs of 24.10 only. Existing admin accounts are preserved on upgrade.For improved security, we recommended that users create a unique administrator account and disable password access for default administrator accounts. See Using Administrator Logins for more information.
  • SMB audit log entries are omitted by default from the System > Audit screen (NAS-130498). To view SMB audit results, go to System > Services and click receipt_long Audit Logs for the SMB service or use advanced search on the main Audit screen to query SMB events.
  • Fix IPv6 bind for VM display (NAS-128102).
  • Replace nslcd with sssd (NAS-127073).
  • Fix management of SNMPv3 user (NAS-128335).

See the Release Notes for more details.

Changelog: https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/24.10/gettingstarted/scalereleasenotes/
Download : https://www.truenas.com/download-truenas-scale
Documentation : https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale

Thanks for testing this early release of TrueNAS SCALE ElectricEel! As always, we appreciate your feedback!

Also, if you find a bug, please create a ticket at TrueNAS - Issues - iXsystems TrueNAS Jira.

Blog on Electric Eel is here: Electric Eel Emerges

19 Likes

Congrats everybody on this BETA launch! Appreciate the hard-work from the iX team and community tests who have been running nightly images in recent weeks. Thanks all, and feedback welcome!

14 Likes

Feels like Christmas come early, thanks for the hard work all! Will be testing it in my lab from today :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looking forward to testing it out! I’d test in production, but rely on some apps that aren’t available yet. I’ll wait for custom apps in RC unless the ones I need become available sooner.

In the meantime, I’ll enjoy reading others’ experiences. Thanks!

Keep an eye on the Apps status page:

We’re up to 80+ now, expecting a lot of the stragglers to get filled in over the next few weeks. Those show up right away in the TrueNAS UI, you don’t have to wait for another RC.1 release if the apps have been added in between time.

3 Likes

Have just been talking in the Discord. Myself and someone else have not had any apps migrated, including those that are marked capable. Pool was unset on upgrade with no apps shown.

Is the migration process logged anywhere at all? I’m testing the upgrade for a second time to see.
EDIT: Exact same behavior on the second update, ix-applications is still intact and I’m able to go back to Dragonfish with no issues.

It would be really helpful if you could file a bug ticket and include a debug so we can take a look.

NAS-130863 raised. I’ll take a look on my end to see if anything sticks out in the meantime.

I had checked the link earlier but misinterpreted the ‘migrated’ column to be the only apps that are available on Eel. I understand those are the ones that should migrate the configs. Fortunately, since most of mine are TrueCharts, I was already planning on reconfiguring these apps.

There are a few former TrueCharts apps I use that are not available – scrutiny, sqlitebrowser, thelounge, code-server – but I’ll migrate this weekend and throw them in a sandbox for now.

Thanks for prompting me to re-read the page.

You’re also welcome to request any applications that are not currently available in the community train or add your support to an existing request: Issues · truenas/apps · GitHub

Once the new apps framework is a bit more stable we’ll also be accepting community contributions/maintenance for apps on that train.

2 Likes

Thanks. I didn’t think to look there. Hoping I didn’t miss reading it :slight_smile: Adding my support.

No ability to use separate IPs for apps?

1 Like

Yes and No. We haven’t exposed that in our default Apps UI wizard. But we allow it on docker via the CLI when you define a custom network or a UI tool Portainer can be used as well if you need pointy-n-clicky things.

Are you going to add it? Or should I create a feature request?

2 Likes

I think we have to eventually, but a feature request is fine to get the ball rolling.

1 Like

Works great so far! Only issue I’m having is the side bar shows both a new and old dashboard, the old one being empty. Any idea how to remove the old one from the sidebar?

1 Like

Did you clear the browser cache?

It will be removed at a later date. Still some additional new dashboard work planned for RC.1.

2 Likes

Samba version in 24.10 is bumped from 4.19 to 4.20.

Installed BETA. Apps that were created using the nightly all launched fine.

2 Likes