UGREEN US3000 UPS (USB VID 2b89:ffff) not accessible by NUT on TrueNAS SCALE 25.10

Hi,

I’m trying to use a UGREEN US3000 DC UPS with TrueNAS SCALE 25.10.

The UPS is detected correctly by Linux:

  • lsusb shows 2b89:ffff

  • dmesg detects it as a HID device

  • /dev/hidraw0 exists

However, the NUT usbhid-ups driver always fails:


libusb1: Could not open any HID devices: insufficient permissions on everything
No matching HID UPS found
Driver failed to start

upsc ups returns:


Error: Driver not connected

Device permissions are:


crw------- root root /dev/hidraw0

The NUT service runs as:


uid=122(nut)
gid=126(nut)

Searching the udev rules shows no entry for vendor ID 2b89:


grep -R "2b89" /usr/lib/udev /etc/udev

returns nothing.

Could this be a missing udev rule for the UGREEN USB Vendor ID?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Truenas uses a pretty old nut version and your ups is most likely not yet supported by it.

you can maybe check with

sudo nut-scanner -U 

from shell if the ups expects you to use a different driver. If that also fails your ups is not compatible with the nut version trurenas uses.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I already confirmed that Linux detects the UPS correctly (lsusb shows 2b89:ffff and a HID device is created).

I’ll run nut-scanner -U and post the results here.

One thing I also noticed is that /dev/hidraw0 remains root:root with mode 0600, and the NUT logs consistently report:


libusb1: Could not open any HID devices: insufficient permissions on everything

So I’m not yet sure whether this is purely a NUT version issue or whether the bundled TrueNAS udev rules are also missing support for USB vendor 2b89.

A quick google search suggests that your ups need nut version 2.8.3 or newer, truenas uses 2.8.0 and the upcomming truenas 26 only updates to nut 2.8.1

Thanks for checking.

Just for completeness:

I am already running the latest stable release:


TrueNAS-25.10.4

truenas_admin@truenas:~$ midclt call system.version
TrueNAS-25.10.4

I also tried:


sudo nut-scanner -U

and the only output is:


Scanning USB bus.

No UPS is detected.

Based on your comment, it sounds like the UGREEN US3000 requires NUT 2.8.3 or newer, while TrueNAS 25.10.4 still ships with NUT 2.8.0. If that’s the case, that would explain why the UPS cannot be used with the built-in UPS service.

After some further investigation, it looks like the root cause is that the UGREEN US3000 requires the Arduino HID subdriver introduced in newer NUT releases.

TrueNAS 25.10.4 still ships with NUT 2.8.0, where subdriver=Arduino is not supported and nut-scanner -U does not detect the UPS.

Another user confirmed successful operation with NUT 2.8.4 using:


driver = usbhid-ups
vendorid = 2b89
productid = ffff
subdriver = Arduino

So this appears to be a limitation of the bundled NUT version rather than a hardware issue.

Tested with NUT 2.8.5 on Debian:

  • usbhid-ups

  • subdriver = Arduino

  • pollonly

UPS (UGREEN US3000, VID:PID 2b89:ffff) is detected and works correctly. upsc returns valid battery, voltage and status information.

Therefore the issue on TrueNAS SCALE 25.10 (NUT 2.8.0) is due to the older bundled NUT version lacking the required Arduino HID support.

Struggled for myself to get it working. Started using a (present) docker, secondly got a script, so NUT inside Truenas itself got upgraded, I got this not working as well…
And I didn’t like ‘patching’ Truenas itself.
So forked a docker project and created a docker image accessible from github/lab.
Must admit I run the docker containers from the shell…

Setup the Truenas UPS service, and tested ok.