Unable to see/locate .ix-virt dataset

Chain of events:
Updated to Fangtooth on release. Selected a pool for instances.
Rolled back to EE to fix some dataset/pool and app issues. Noticed the ix-virt dataset was visible in the webUI, deleted it as it was part of the pool that was giving me issues. Updated again to Fangtooth a few days later. Selected the new pool for instances.

I am not having any issues with instances at the moment but, I was curious as to where the ix-virt dataset now resided. I am unable to locate it, even when searching for hidden paths. ls -a or ls -lah I see it mentioned in the source code and in the TrueNAS documention so I am stumped.

Any help would be appreciated.

try zfs list

it is hidden from the gui.

Thank you @Stux! That allowed me to see the dataset.

Can you, or someone else explain why zfs list would show the path but ls -a or ls -lah would not? When I research what each one does respectively, it is a bit beyond my understanding.

The mountpoint is ‘legacy’. Does this mean it is no longer handled by zfs or was it never handled by zfs?

“legacy” means it gets mounted manually using the mount command (like most legacy filesystems), rather than automatically at a predefined mountpoint

The point is, Incus does it. Don’t worry about it.

The important thing is the dataset, which is a filesystem, doesn’t get mounted in the normal /mnt/<pool> hierarchy…

And this is probably half of the reason why its hidden in the GUI too.

Thank you.

Hi thanks for the hint. Is there also a possibility to copy a zvol from this hidden folder to another place?
Since I rolled back from Fangtooth to ElectricEel I am not able to mount the zvols from my VM. Unfortunately during the VM migration in Fangtooth I moved them instead of did a copy.
Is there any solution for my problem?

Hi, did you resolve this?

I don’t know what i did the original conversion, but I don’t have any files now, after I upgraded and the old “Virtual Machines” is back.
But i get a list with this command:
“zfs list -t volume”.

It is but you still won’t see it with ls. A zvol is an artifact in ZFS, not a file. You can only see it or perform operations on it (snapshot, rollback, clone, copy, delete, …) with zfs commands.

This way worked for me.