What's the safest way to transition from CORE to SCALE without losing data stored on pools?

Sorry, I definitely meant mirror and not replica. I’m sleepy today.

Regarding the pool design, I’m open to hear it, but I don’t think I’m open to RAIDZ, I considered that for a while, let me explain:

• MARS is 4TB, almost full (75%)
  • VENUS is 4TB at 45%
  • JUPITER is 14TB at 13%

Content:

• MARS has jails + media files
  • VENUS has family photos (very important), documents and media files
  • JUPITER has media files so far (and it’s mostly empty)
  • EARTH has backups of other computers
  • URANUS has throwaway data, not really relevant

The reason why I didn’t go with a RAIDZ are the following:

• I don’t trust my skills as a TrueNAS admin. Confirmation of that is how I messed up some data on MARS
  • Turns out I get very stressed with backups, having a full mirror makes me way more confident if something goes wrong at the hardware level
  • I purchased the HDDs over a very long timeframe (~6 years), I didn’t really know I was going to buy a 14TB drive
  • I really appreciate the simplicity of saying “if something goes wrong, clone the HDD”, without having to deal with multiple HDDs. I can do a raw clone from any system and it would be fine
  • Read performance is the only relevant one given the large amount of media files
  • I have 24 HDD slots on my server and currently use 8

I’m open to hear a different opinion, but my stress level goes really high when I think about the fact that if I lose X drives, I lose all the data that I have ever owned. Having it spread in this way gives me more confidence that at least I won’t lose all the data at the same time.

As you can see, stress is my major driver :rofl:

EDIT: Forgot model numbers. This screenshot doesn’t include backup drives:

• MARS has 1 HDD green for backups
  • VENUS has 1 HDD green for backups
  • JUPITER has 1 HDD Exos enterprise for backups: ST14000NM001G

I also have a spare 8TB Exos enterprise HDD