Added a Disk, Can't See It

Okay, and when you connect it straight to the motherboard, side-stepping any HBA or similar PCIe device, is the drive visible in the BIOS?

Followup question, when you connected it straight to the motherboard, how did you verify that the drive didn’t show up in that OS and what OS was it?

Can you repeat this test? If so, can you hold a finger to the side of the drive, or possibly hear it? Maybe it’s just dead.

[quote=“neofusion, post:41, topic:28306”]
Followup question, when you connected it straight to the motherboard, how did you verify that the drive didn’t show up in that OS and what OS was it?
[/quote]Win10, “This PC” and Disk Management.

[quote]Can you repeat this test? If so, can you hold a finger to the side of the drive, or possibly hear it? Maybe it’s just dead.[/quote]It definitely spun up when I connected it to the other machine a week or two ago, and it definitely spun up when I connected it to the TrueNAS machine yesterday. Placed a hand on it both times.

[quote]Okay, and when you connect it straight to the motherboard, side-stepping any HBA or similar PCIe device, is the drive visible in the BIOS?[/quote]On the TrueNAS machine, or the other machine? I don’t believe I have mobo spots spare on the TrueNAS machine.

On the other system, not the TrueNAS system because as you say, you can’t connect it to the motherboard on that one.

No sign of it in the BIOS of my other machine, either. But, again, definitely spinning.

Okay, then I don’t have any other ideas of things to try…

I’d argue that drive might be faulty - it powers up & platters spin, but if two mahines can’t see it when dirrectly connected to motherboard & different data cables tested, then something ain’t right with the controller on the hdd.

Rma it - it happens.

RMA’d, installed the new drive, and we are in business.