Immich Storage Location is Being Deprecated Issue

Hello,

I’m facing a similar issue, but unlike the read error @Jaybeam is encountering, I’m getting a write error:

Verifying system mount folder checks, current state: {“mountChecks”:{“thumbs”:true,“upload”:true,“backups”:true,“library”:true,“profile”:true,“encoded-video”:true}}
Failed to write upload/encoded-video/.immich: Error: EACCES: permission denied, open ‘upload/encoded-video/.immich’

…possibly pointing to a permissions issue only? I’ve tried all the suggestions listed in the posts above (thank you all), but none seem to work. I’m gonna continue try fiddling with the permissions and see if it helps.

thanks!

It started working after 2 actions I took

  1. I changed permissions for dataset data from root (rwx) to truenas_admin (my admin user) (rwx) recursively, and then changed it back to root
  2. I gave other rwx permissions

probably started working because of #2 ( @Jaybeam I’ll try reverting, restart and check if that change really fixed it for me)

thank you @visamp for simplifying this migration for us!

This is the sort of issue that really annoys people who’ve made the move off Synology and the likes to TrueNAS and docker. After finding a myriad of installation docs and, by hook or by crook, finding the one that finally allowed us to install Immich successfully we now have to move all of our folders (for some reason) because the default locations are being deprecated. It took me an age to find out where the default folder locations actually were as, again, I came across a multitude of sites that failed to detail or gave incorrect information.

I really can’t be arsed so will delete Immich in its entirety and see if I can live without it (which is highly likely).

Docker really is typical of the Linux world in that the information you need to get something to work is a nightmare to find.

Hello,

Is this the reason for the discordant instructions between the truenas and immich install instructions - specifically this warning?

Given my propensity to break things, reading before I install.

Thank you.

Blockquote

Default Setting (Not recommended)

The default setting for datasets is ixVolume (dataset created automatically by the system) but this results in your data being harder to access manually and can result in data loss if you delete the immich app. (Not recommended)

Blockquote

Immich requires seven storage datasets. You can allow SCALE to create them for you, or use the dataset(s) created in First Steps. Select the storage options you want to use for Immich Uploads Storage, Immich Library Storage, Immich Thumbs Storage, Immich Profile Storage, Immich Video Storage, Immich Postgres Data Storage, Immich Postgres Backup Storage. Select ixVolume (dataset created automatically by the system) in Type to let SCALE create the dataset or select Host Path to use the existing datasets created on the system.

Blockquote

It’s related, but you’re also viewing a very out-of-date version (24.04) of the TrueNAS documentation. All current apps docs have been moved to https://apps.truenas.com/. That Immich guide has actually been retired in favor of pointing users to the project docs and some community guides: Immich | TrueNAS Apps Market.

Thank you. This is helpful for other guides and info also. Will watch the version number and use https://apps.truenas.com/

@DjP-iX the documentation on Immich needs to be updated or else future users will install using the old steps. I’m not sure I know how to notify their team that TrueNAS has made the switch to the new structure and therefore their setup documentation needs to be updated. Might need to pull down the ServersatHome video as well as it’s not showing the “new” way to setup Immich.

We rely on the community or the upstream project to maintain any external sources. The Immich project seems to be pretty responsive, so you might want to try bringing the change to their attention https://github.com/immich-app/immich/issues.

I submitted a ticket on Github per your comment. I’ll post responses here.

The video on here is out of date: Immich | TrueNAS Apps Market as well.

Thank you sir, Matt

What is the current best practice to install immich? (what is the current up to date link on installing).

I think you should wait until Immich updates their documentation because it doesn’t exist at the moment. Essentially, you want to go through the steps immich lays out up until datasets and folder structure where you would follow much of what’s laid out here.

But if I were you and you’re nervous, I’d really consider waiting until the documentation for new installs is updated.

Feedback from Immich:

“We have asked for this to be updated on our discord a few times. If no one is able to do it we will remove the outdated info soon.”

Can someone point me at the source of this change?
Meaning where did immich announce it? I cannot find it.

I have this issue too but a more confusing setup. I have an old folder /mnt/ecotec/ix-applications/releases/immich/volumes/ix_volumes which contains:

root@truenas[…ns/releases/immich/volumes/ix_volumes]# ls
library pgBackup pgData profile thumbs uploads video

But I also have when I upgraded TrueNAS this structure:

root@truenas[/mnt/.ix-apps]# ls /mnt/.ix-apps/app_mounts/immich/
backups library pgBackup pgData profile thumbs uploads video

How do I know where my data is actually stored and whats in use?
The
“Use Old Storage Configuration (Deprecated)”
box is tied. Does that refer to the /mnt/ecotec/ix-applications/releases/immich/ location?

Anything in ix-applications is legacy data from before you migrated to 24.10, which uses ix-apps. I’d recommend using this opportunity to relocate your app data out of the ix-apps to a host path location since you need to reorganize it anyway and we don’t recommend using ix-volumes for permanent storage.

So can ix-applications be deleted safely? It didn’t seem as if the immich app docker image mounts anything in there.

It can be. See App Storage | TrueNAS Apps Market

Thanks. So that was a distraction then. So what old storage configuration is immich complaining about? Is it just saying don’t use the default /mnt/.ix-apps/app_mounts/immich/ and define a custom storage location? It’s hard to really understand the warning. “Use Old Storage Configuration (Deprecated)”

I can’t get immich to start having moved things around. Theres upload and uploads folders which is correct?

Here is my directory structure:

root@truenas[/mnt/ecotec/immich-data]# ls /mnt/ecotec/immich-data
data postgres-data

root@truenas[/mnt/ecotec/immich-data]# ls /mnt/ecotec/immich-data/data
backups encoded-video library pgBackup profile thumbs uploads upload

Any ideas whats wrong? The uploads directory is empty and the upload directory is populated.

permissions as follows

root@truenas[/mnt/ecotec/immich-data/data]# ls -l
total 100
drwxr-xr-x 2 netdata docker 17 Jul 2 02:01 backups
drwxr-xr-x 4 netdata docker 5 Jun 20 10:55 encoded-video
drwxr-xr-x 4 netdata docker 5 Jun 20 10:55 library
drwxr-xr-x 2 netdata docker 12 Nov 1 2024 pgBackup
drwxr-xr-x 2 netdata docker 3 Oct 18 2024 profile
drwxr-xr-x 5 netdata docker 6 Jun 20 10:55 thumbs
drwxr-xr-x 4 netdata docker 5 Jul 2 14:01 upload
drwxr-xr-x 2 netdata docker 2 Jul 2 14:21 uploads
root@truenas[/mnt/ecotec/immich-data/data]#

I’d suggest starting with reading the top of this thread