Issue installing Sabnzbd on Truenas Core

Hello
I’ve run into a roadblock trying to install Sabnzbd on my system.

I’m running Core 13.0-U6.1 and currently have Sabnzbd package version 4.2.2. I am trying a new install of version 4.3.2. I know there is no package or port for that version yet, so I’m trying to install from source, both to get the new version and as a teaching experience. As an aside, it looks like the 4.2.2 package is no longer available. In fact, there are no sabnzbd packages at all available from what I can see.

I’ve gone through the git hub notes and other sources I can find online and installed what I believe are all the dependencies. I created the rc.c file (actually copied from my current install) and set all the directories.

When I try to start sab, either using service sabnzbd start, or running SABnzbd.py from the command line, I get the following error:

Starting sabnzbd.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/bin/SABnzbd.py”, line 63, in
import sabnzbd
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘sabnzbd’
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/sabnzbd: WARNING: failed to start sabnzbd

From the error message, I assume it can’t find module “sabnzbd”, but I don’t know what that module is. I’ve done a search through my existing 4.2.2 installation and can’t find anything that looks like that, and searching online hasn’t returned any helpful information.

Has anyone here ever installed sabnzbd from source, or does anyone have any idea what this is?

thanks

Have you installed using a plug-in, or manual jail?

So, installing from source on any system is a long discussion. However, FreeBSD provides a very nice method (they provide an easier method for compiling software that works). BUT, porting takes a little time so it may take a week or so to get the latest version source.

Are you doing PORTS (see below) or are you downloading source code from github?
Chapter 4. Installing Applications: Packages and Ports | FreeBSD Documentation Portal

Warning: the github method is the difficult method on any platform (that’s why developers use things like CMake and whatnot).

Not sure why that would be; looks like it should be:

My current installation is done using packages. I’m doing the new install in a different jail and installing the program from git hub, with the additional requirements done using packages and pip

I don’t know why either. I know there was one back in April when I did the last upgrade to 4.2.2. There is still a 4.2.2. port, but no package.

Below is a pkg search for “sab”

What’s your jail version?

Anything below 13.2 is EOL and probably won’t show new pkgs.

I was trying from github so as to get the latest version. I haven’t tried ports since that has the same version as I currently have. I’ve done other installs from github (Navidrome, most recently) and have been ok. The problem I’m running into this time seems to be related to a missing module, and I can’t identify what that is.

The jails are all 13.2, release p11

I have resolved this problem. I don’t know if I had installed something out of sequence, or had a typo on a command, but I deleted the jail and rebuilt from scratch. This time I received a different error message, which, when I fixed, let me start Sab both from the command line but more importantly from the service file as we’ll. There’s still a bit of tweaking to do, but I now have instructions on how to install Sabnzbd from source instead of pkg or ports.

I’ve documented all the steps and when I’ve cleaned it up, I’ll post it in the forums should anyone else be interested.

1 Like

It seems that the sabnzbd 4.2.2 package is back online