True NAS Core 13 installation stuck with white - Cursor

Hi,
I created USB bootable pen drive for TrueNAS core image ver 13.0 using Rufus tool.
I tried to install on my computer( see the hardware details in the below screen), but after selecting menu option 1, the installation stops with white cursor and black screen.

what may be the reason.

we have 8 GB RAM and 2 drives with 1 TB each.

What is the device you are booting the installer from? From what I can glean (and Iā€™m having my own installation issues) itā€™s kinda touchy about what USB device you use and on what USB port. IIRC, USB3 isnā€™t properly supported by the installer. You might want to see if the port you have the installer flash drive in is USB3, if it is, move to a USB 1 or 2 port.
Just a guess, but worth a go I think.

My problem is that when it completes install, it canā€™t fully boot the newly installed TrueNAS because it canā€™t mount the ZFS root volume (error 2) which seems to mean unknown file system, possibly due to the installer creating loader.conf without an instruction to allow ZFX volumes to mount. I have had zero response to the questions about it over the last 24 hours. Not one single response.

Good luck, I think weā€™re both gonna need it.

Regards

Geoff

1 Like

Thanka a lot for the hints. Will try these tips tmrw and see, if I am. Lucky enough!

Found these above links related to the similar issue with different work aroundsā€¦ FYI

Hi,

Not the same problem. They are all to do with getting the installer to boot.
I booted mine from a Ventoy installed USB stick and the installer runs fine, and the installation goes normally, says it was successful and asks me to remove the installation media and reboot. The problem is that when it reboots the installed TrueNAS, it canā€™t mount the zfs root file system, error 2, which means ā€˜unknown file systemā€™. Probably an issue with the installer, but I canā€™t find a workaround and there has been zero response in the forums (aside from yours) so far.

Thanks for your help

Regards

BIOS screenshot shows 4Gb of RAM, upper left by Information. DIMM_A1: N/A, DIMM_B1 Kingston 4096 MB. Check your RAM sticks

Your USB is 8GB.

Documentation
https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/13.0/

1 Like

We tried installing after upgrading to 8 GB RAM later but still the same issue during installationā€¦

Sorry. What I meant was related to my issue not yoursā€¦

You can try updating your motherboard bios to the latest from Asus. 2402 is latest per their website.

What device were you going to use as your boot drive?
The BIOS screenshot shows two, 1TB hard drives and the USB at 8GB. Was the USB just the installation media?

When you made your install USB with Rufus did it ask about using DD Mode per the documenation instructions

To write the TrueNAS installer to a USB stick on Windows, plug the USB stick into the system and use a program like Rufus to write the .iso file to the memory stick. When Rufus prompts for which write method to use, make sure dd mode is selected.

The USB stick is not recognized by Windows after the TrueNAS installer writes to it. To reclaim the USB stick after installing TrueNAS, use Rufus to write a ā€œNon bootableā€ image, then remove and reinsert the USB stick.

Verify the checksum of your downloaded ISO: if it does not match with the official one, download it again.

Format the USB and burn-in again the ISO (with the correct checksum.

Yes it asked as shown below and I clicked Yes/ok and proceeded further as shown below:

In order to reclaim, I tried this method of writing ā€œNon-bootableā€ image and removing and inserting
But still not able to detect this pen drive again? any idea why. thanks

I just tried two different USB drives and both were recognized by Windows after that method.

Did you verify your ISO download checksum?

Did not find the steps how to verify the checksum?
I can see only some checksum value being displayed in the website.

Also one more question,
To download older versions of True NAS?
It says direct downloads.after that no option to dowload

Core previous versions
https://download-core.sys.truenas.net/

1 Like

Expand ISO Verification section

Give the install a minute or two to continue. It might be probing hardware and just looks like it is stuck

Checksum matches.
Similarly I verified checksum for couple of other ISO images like :
TrueNAS-13.0-U6.2.iso
TrueNAS-13.3-BETA2
even they are matching.

so I dont think, issue with check sum here.

I think, we waited for couple of minutes, anyways will give a try about this again and see.

Thanks

I verified, checksums are fine.
I feel its some other issueā€¦

I checked Asus websit for our motherboard modele. But could not find any download options for motherboard bios.

USB was just installation media.
We want to just try installation on one of the 1 TB hard drives as this is first time, we are installing a NAS OS.
later on we will install it on lesser memory capacity ssd/hdd and use this 1 TB drive for memory pool/storage functionalilties as datasets etc

I would suggest trying a different USB port and USB drive.

1 Like