TrueNAS 24.10-RC.1 is Now Available!

We are pleased and proud to release TrueNAS 24.10-RC.1!

Early releases are intended for testing and feedback purposes. Do not use early-release software for critical tasks.

This release candidate version has software component updates and new features that are in the polishing phase, as well as fixes for issues discovered in 24.10-BETA.1.

Notable changes:

• Convert audit message_timestamp for sudo to UTC (NAS-130373).
  • The previous Dashboard and View Enclosure UI screens are removed (NAS-130582).
  • Fix issues with TrueCloud Backup restoration paths and scheduling (NAS-130644, NAS-130794, and NAS-130320).
  • Prevent incorrect auto-populated portal group IDs on iSCSI target (NAS-130656).
  • Add alert for every successful root, admin, or truenas_admin, login to the TrueNAS web UI (NAS-127040).
  • Prevent systemd journal from producing duplicate audit entries on upgrade (NAS-131125).
  • Ensure snapshot batch deletion targets only selected snapshots (NAS-130874).
  • Remove acltype normalization for datasets (NAS-130877).
  • Fix dRAID logic for number of children when creating a pool (NAS-130678).
  • UI support for installing NVIDIA GPU drivers is added (NAS-130588).
  • Improve handling for file renaming in case insensitive filesystems (NAS-130743).
  • Prevent applications from running startup processes before acquiring the default interface (NAS-130863).
  • Fix issues with user.update endpoint (NAS-130696).

See the Release Notes for more details.

Changelog: https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/24.10/gettingstarted/scalereleasenotes/#2410-rc1-changelog
Download : https://www.truenas.com/download-truenas-scale
Documentation : https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale

Thanks for testing this early release of TrueNAS ElectricEel! As always, we appreciate your feedback!

Also, if you find a bug, please create a ticket at TrueNAS - Issues - iXsystems TrueNAS Jira .

6 Likes

thx starting with downloading :smiley:

https://download.sys.truenas.net/TrueNAS-ElectricEel-RC/24.10-RC.1/TrueNAS-SCALE-24.10-RC.1.iso

Quick note about NAS-127040 – there are two new alerts introduced:

1. (enterprise-only) – a daily alert about usage of default administrator accounts (root / admin / truenas_admin)
  2. (everyone) – a daily alert about login failures by any account to the UI / API.
2 Likes

NAS-130743 fixes a case where MacOS users trying to rename a file to change its case on a case-insensitive filesystem could encounter an error (name collision).

1 Like

Is there a statistic as to how many users require a MacOS, Windows and/or Linux client to work with TrueNAS?

Really looking forward to testing it out this weekend, thanks for all the work you folks have been doing on this!

Looks like tomorrow I will be grabbing a copy.

Thanks to iXsystems for the development efforts.

Updated successfully. Only possible issue is the “Pool” section on the Dashboard appears to not have data? Any ideas?

1 Like

You need to click the edit dashboard and edit the widget - select the pool you want to display

1 Like

Thank you

Most things seems to have been migrated nicely. All of my apps are working well except for two. Nextcloud needed a manual upgrade in the shell and then a reboot and now is working fine. Tailscale, however, has been stuck at ‘Deploying’ since the update. I tried installing a new instance from scratch and am having the same issue there.

Update went without a hitch … still getting

Network interface enp15s0 not found.

in the widget
I had one little thing that was odd, running a media scan in Plex while accessing the TrueNAS dashboard , and my server rebooted. Running fine now though … so who knows

It’s weird that I can’t see any of my apps after upgrade. What’s going wrong here? Most of them installed from trueNas official chart.

Upgrade went well, I got a message about ZFS feature updates on my main storage pool so went for a look, clearly I have not updated the boot pool for awhile!

Should I go ahead and update them all?

You should not update your boot pool.

You should only update your other pools once you decide you never want to use them with core or Cobia/Dragonfish :wink:

2 Likes

Got it thanks, I’ll update the three storage pools then.

I had some extra time tonight, so I went ahead and gave it a whirl. It looks like everything migrated over ok with two exceptions:

[2024/10/02 18:33:58] (DEBUG) app_migrations.migrate():231 - 'nginx-proxy-manager' app failed to migrate successfully: 'Failed to create app: [EINVAL] values.run_as.user: Should be greater or equal than 568\n[EINVAL] values.run_as.group: Should be greater or equal than 568\n'
[2024/10/02 18:33:58] (DEBUG) app_migrations.migrate():231 - 'customapp' app failed to migrate successfully: 'Failed to create app: [EFAULT] Failed to render compose templates: base_v1_1_2.utils.Template
Exception: Environment variable [TZ] is already defined from the application developer.\n'

I rolled back to Dragonfish and adjusted the customapp to remove the TZ environmental variable, which was completely trivial.

I then checked in on Nginx Proxy Manager and for some reason that was set to run as user and group 0 when the TN default seems to be 568. However, after changing that from 0 to 568, it didn’t come back up; the health probe returned NOT OK. I then went and moved it back to 0 and it came up properly. I then found the ongoing thread about probe failures failing due to heavy chown operations, and I think that’s the culprit. I reverted back to 568 and applied the workaround from that. Both of them came up just fine afterwards.

I re-applied the updates, and everything was fine after that. I was also able to modify a stock docker-compose.yml very easily to create a custom code-server application. I had previously used code-serever via a chart from TrueCharts but I removed it when they dropped support for TrueNAS, so I’m quite happy to have it configured again.

I have some docker items that I would like to kick off via cron, which is now much more straightforward as I can just cron a script that runs docker commands. Which cron system does TrueNAS Scale use, so that I can figure out exactly how to configure that?

The login UI on mobile fixed that incredibly annoying bug where you couldn’t fill out the user/pass fields unless you scrolled the page up or down and then retried to enter your credentials. That’s been around for a while (at least Dragonfish, but I believe Cobia, too). I am very happy to see that finally fixed!

Everthing looks good to me so far. I’m quite chuffed about this, kudos.

2 Likes

Hey I’m trying to use dockge app to manage all my docker containers but I am getting this message when I try installing dockge:

[EFAULT] Failed 'up' action for 'dockge' app, please check /var/log/app_lifecycle.log for more details

the /var/log/app_lifecycle.log shows:

[2024/10/02 23:10:34] (ERROR) app_lifecycle.compose_action():56 - Failed 'up' action for 'dockge' app:  dockge Pulling 
 dockge Error Get "https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/louislam/dockge/manifests/sha256:ec889251baff476366783bc4a092aaa08c601f377537a0f30fb922754edcd9b7": dial tcp [2600:1f18:2148:bc00:41e1:f57f:e2e2:5e54]:443: connect: network is unreachable
Error response from daemon: Get "https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/louislam/dockge/manifests/sha256:ec889251baff476366783bc4a092aaa08c601f377537a0f30fb922754edcd9b7": dial tcp [2600:1f18:2148:bc00:41e1:f57f:e2e2:5e54]:443: connect: network is unreachable

So my ISP does not support IPv6. Is there a way to make apps use IPv4?

Was it working with BETA?

If not, I’d suggest starting a new thread with the specific issues.