Upgrade ElectricEel to Fangtooth fails

Attempted boot into 25.04 and now i made it to 100/115 before it freezes up and does not load in

Okay so I got response from ticket I submitted (big ups on the quick turnaround), the ticket was closed due to “Unsupported development tools capable of modifications to the base operating system have been enabled in this configuration”

I’m not exactly sure what that means but my initial Core installation goes back a very long time and I cannot remember everything that I may have configured years ago, so it’s likely something I did and cannot remember.

Anyway, so I just finished installing 25.04 fresh and restored my old config and everything seems to be working. The first boot did sit at the audit pluging middleware message for quite a while again, I almost thought it was stuck but this time it did complete and the middleware loaded successfully.

Usually this means you’ve enabled developer mode, in which case we can’t be sure if the bug is a due to TrueNAS or user modifications of the OS. As it says in the docs there, this is unsupported and so tickets are closed unless the issue can be reproduced on an unmodified install. In your case, you may or may not have done that, but your debug indicated modifications to /usr so it was closed for the same reasons.

Fwiw I’m fairly sure your initial failure was due to not following the Upgrade Paths and attempting to upgrade directly from 24.04 to 25.04, skipping over 24.10. But a fresh install gets around that problem, so you should be in a good spot now.

I’ve been trying to setup a new machine (older mobo) with fangtooth and had the exact same middlewared issue with a fresh install. I then did a fresh install of EE which was flawless and then tried to upgrade to Fangtooth and hit had the same issue with it hanging at audit.

Interestingly my main Nas upgraded to fangtooth without a problem. this newer one just seems to lockup whilst setting up plugins (audit) [113/119]

same goes for me. fresh upgrade from 24.10.2.2

Latest patch worked. 25.04.1 installed and started up in less time than it took for the previous 25.04 to fail.
Thanks for the hard work.