User of FreeNAS 11.3...Fresh install/migration to TrueNAS SCALE

Hi everybody!

As per topic object, i have an old FreeNAS 11.3 system up and running… now i need to change/increase my HDDs and i was planning to migrate to TrueNAS SCALE.

I know a fresh install would be better, rather than a migration, and i’m planning to to a fresh install on a new usb for the OS.

The question is…SCALE will recognize and import my pool and datasets or would be a mess? I don’t have a second system for a fresh install and replication of data…

Thanks for the replies

Hi there,

as long as your pools are not geli encrypted scale should have no issues with importing them. That’s the beauty of zfs, newer versions can import older version. The issue with geli encryption is that it’s a bsd thing and not compatible with linux.
Note that scale no longer recommends usb thumb drives for boot media, but rather small ssds. A cheap 64-120gb ssd would be more then big enough.

Thanks for the reply.

No, i do not have an encrypted pool, just some jails on a specific dataset that i can nuke 'cause i know will not work anymore.

I just care for the data on my pool.

Just to be sure if i understood well… i do NOT need to upfrade from my 11.3 freeNAS STABLE train to TrueNAS 12, right?

i just need to export my pool, power-off my nas, install TrueNAS SCALE on a new ssd and then import my old ZFS Pool, right?

Correct, although one might question why you are planning to move from long EOL FreeNAS to equally EOL TrueNAS SCALE? :wink:

All releases since 25.04 are named TrueNAS CE (community edition) or TrueNAS Enterprise. There is no “SCALE”, anymore.

Right. I’am planning to move to the last available TrueNAS edition available. I thought it was named SCALE. my mistake

I had to re-silver each HDD without Geli encryption. Once that was complete I exported the pool and did a fresh install to TrueNAS. Imported the pool and set up everything again. The pools were all recognised immediately. Did a scrub and everything returned fine. I skipped the intemediate upgrades and moved right to the latest TrueNAS at the time. I think this is a better way to go.

I will resilver each disk of the pool with new disk to increase the space, then i’ll try to do the same exporting the pool and importing it back on a brand new fresh installation of truenas latest version