An old man with a dead drive and how to identify

Two truenas servers down and out due to smoke and water from a fire. Server 2 would boot to the point of errors on ata5, and could go no further. Johnny_fartpants suggested using smart to to get some identifying info but the command would not run on either a 13.x boot flash or a 24.4 saying the command did not exist.

At 71 I started in IT in 1999 but was building my own since a 286 with an EGA monitor and the optional ONE MEG of memory. I remembered from my experience a trick that I used on the past. Unplug one drive at a time :grin:
The 6tb has been replaced with an 8tb and is resilvering. The rest of the 6tb will be replaced as well.

Thanks to the community

You didn’t post what command you are referring to.

Adding link to other post

You might have to use ‘sudo’ before the command on TrueNAS Scale (Linux).

Either of the following should allow you to match up the info from the GUI to a drive serial number. LSBLK may need ‘sudo’ before it

lsblk -bo NAME,LABEL,MAJ:MIN,TRAN,ROTA,ZONED,VENDOR,MODEL,SERIAL,PARTUUID,START,SIZE,PARTTYPENAME

sudo ZPOOL_SCRIPTS_AS_ROOT=1 zpool status -vLtsc lsblk,serial,smartx,smar

Thank you, Johnnie_fartpants had suggested smarctl which I typed just smart. Smartctl was not recognized in either a 13.x or 24.4 boot flash shell.

Was @Johnny_Fartpants or I helpful in what advice we gave?

Yes of course. Anyone willing to answer when they are busy is always welcome. I posted another different message as to the low tech solution. Is there anything I need to follow up on?

You still haven’t posted any of the requested output, so further guidance will be difficult to give.

If you are getting an error message when executing a command, please post the full input and resulting output so we can better understand what is going wrong.

The only thing I can recall not providing is a question of if I was running on Z1 or Z2. That system is Z2. Johnny_fartpants suggested a smartctl command but neither a boot flash under 13.x or 24.4 recognized the command. If I’m to run the command under SSH then that would not be possible as the server was in an endless loop of errors. Unplugging the drives one at a time resulted in finding it. Unplugging it allowed for a boot and replacement.

@locacoyote I too am an old man, just not that old yet, but soon. My first computer was a hexadecimal keyboard and display. It didn’t do much.

To provide specific directions we would need to know a few thing about your hardware.

However, the smart command will run if you are running as root or sudo and the command is smartctl -x /dev/sda for a SCALE system. If you do not have SCALE, tell us but the command is the same, you just need to use the drive ident (da0, ada0, etc).

You would then use the </> above in the formatting line to add the text and maintain the format. Enter data for one drive at a time, it will be a lot of data.

What this will do is tell us if the drives are causing the problem, are they failing. Smoke won’t kill the drive however water will cause some problems for everything.

The more information about your hardware, the easier it will be to help you out. Let us know.