I used a pool for a long time (only one disk). But suddenly the pool was marked full ( 0 bytes available, but healthy) . The pool was no more accessible via SMB.
I tried to disconnect with different steps, but nothing helped. If I simple disconnect the pool the system crashes. Then I used the disk within another freenas system and there it works. No in my orig. system I have a named pool but marked as unknown. Question: how to get rid of him ?
Welcome to the forums.
You can wipe the drive in the FreeNAS system where “it works”.
@strassbgb do you need the data on that pool?
Yes, I do need the data on the pool. (18 TB) . I have a backup but to restore the data is time consuming. The disk is now outside of the system and there is only a pool name without anything else. How to get rid of the name ?
Oh! Then my advice, based on "Question: how to get rid of him ? - the “get rid of him” I read as referring to the complete pool - was ABSOLUTELY INAPPROPRIATE if you want the original pool data - thank you @winnielinnie for checking in on it!!!
@strassbgb, my apologies! But after reading and rereading your post, I find I can’t understand it. You take the single pool disk drive from its original system and put it in another FreeNAS/TrueNAS box and “it works” - what do you mean when you say “it works”?
What “different steps” did you try to disconnect the pool? What messages did you see? Did you try to export the pool?
Then you put it back in the original system and when booted up you can see the original pool name but it’s not importable?
What error messages do you see in the two systems?
If you can give more information hopefully somebody here will be able to help.
If my description of the problem isn’t clear, I’d like to apologize.
I’ll describe the exact sequence of events:
- It started with the fact that I could no longer access a drive (Content_7, 18 TB) in Windows 10.
- I then looked under Storage → Pools: Healthy, 0 bytes left.
- In the shell I checked under /mnt:
ls -lproduced no response. Other datasets/drives could be accessed directly, e.g.ls -l /mnt/Content_6. - I then chose Export/Disconnect. Result: crash of FreeNAS (11.2-U8).
- I shut down FreeNAS and pulled the hard drive.
- Restarted FreeNAS and checked Storage → Pools: Content_7: Unknown, no further information. Another Disconnect/Export makes the system crash again.
- I then installed the drive in another FreeNAS system; there it could be imported and accessed without any issues. In the shell the data is visible.
- When I put the drive back into the original system, it again shows Healthy, 0 bytes left.
- Therefore my idea: How can I remove the entry in FreeNAS’s Pools view? Then I could re-import the drive.
My view is simple: If a disk crahes and I remove her from system it must be possible to remove the entry within pools.
Thanks you for the explanation - your experience is now clear. I confess I have no clue what to suggest to improve the situation.
I do have a question to fill out the data further - do the two FreeNAS boxes have the same version installed?
I look forward to someone else jumping in here with suggestions leading to a solution. I looked back at the release notes for the old version 11.2-U8 you are using but didn’t see anything that appeared to be helpful in them.
Good luck…
The second Freenas System is the same one. (11.2-U8). I know, this is not the newest one. But until now, it run without any problems. I use it only internally within my network. My idea is, to remove the pool entry within the freenas system, but I do not have the knowledge of the internal architecture of freenas. But the inventors of freenas should tell me , what to do.
I hesitate to set up Freenas again, because I have 16 disks with 12 pools.