What to upgrade too

I have an old Truenas verision 13.

Looking in the upgrade makes me worried…
What shall I use ?
TrueNAS-SCALE-Angelfish - TrueNAS SCALE Angelfish [release]
TrueNAS-SCALE-Bluefin-BETA - TrueNAS SCALE Bluefin BETA
TrueNAS-SCALE-Bluefin-RC - TrueNAS SCALE Bluefin RC
TrueNAS-SCALE-Bluefin - TrueNAS SCALE Bluefin [release]
TrueNAS-SCALE-Cobia-BETA - TrueNAS SCALE Cobia BETA
TrueNAS-SCALE-Cobia-RC - TrueNAS SCALE Cobia RC
TrueNAS-SCALE-Cobia - TrueNAS SCALE Cobia [release]
TrueNAS-SCALE-Dragonfish-BETA - TrueNAS SCALE Dragonfish BETA
TrueNAS-SCALE-Dragonfish-RC - TrueNAS SCALE Dragonfish RC
TrueNAS-SCALE-Dragonfish - TrueNAS SCALE Dragonfish [release]

I use my nas for home shareing data. Thats it
It is an old supermicro A2SDi-4C-HLN4F with some disk.
It works fine and doing a great job for shareing my data.
Should I upgrade and to what ?

I don’t see any reason not to use the latest version.

To address the second question first, you can eliminate 2/3 of the possibilities by knowing that you wouldn’t want to “upgrade” to Beta or RC software. That leaves four. You wouldn’t want to upgrade to software that’s no longer supported, so that eliminates Angelfish and Bluefin. The remaining candidates are Cobia and Dragonfish. The latter was just released last week, and while it seems most people have had good experiences with it, some (including me) have had problems. I’d therefore think the latest Cobia release (23.10.2) would be the safest bet.

But on the “should I upgrade,” my response would be, “why would you want to?” Is there something you want to do that your current software doesn’t support? If not, stay with it.

2 Likes

…other than the inevitable bugs of a .0 release. I don’t know why Dragonfish takes 20 minutes to import all my pools, but it repeatably does, resulting in a bit of a disaster trying to get the apps working. I realize this isn’t universal, but it also isn’t the only problem that’s been reported here with that release.

1 Like

If you run TN CORE 13.0-U6.1 there is really nothing to upgrade to (yet). TN SCALE is an entirely different system so what exactly are you missing? Things will change a lot if you switch.

TN CORE 13.3 will be out soon-ish.

1 Like