How to install pfsense on virtual machine on truenas core

Do you mean this?

Yes - what is the full name of that image file? Does it end in .img or in .bz2?

This the disk device

That means it is still compressed. You need to uncompress it - either on Windows before uploading it to TrueNAS or on TrueNAS on the CLI.

For the latter - in a putty/root session:

cd /mnt/ArchivioRG/Archivio/VM/ISO/OPNsense_VM
bzip -d OPNsense-24.1-serial-amd64.img.bz2

Once that is finished change the device configuration in the TN UI to point to the uncompressed .img file instead of the compressed one.

Then power on your VM again.

P.S. The disk device is fine - I am referring to the virtual CDROM you try to use for installation. It’s in compressed format to save download bandwidth. You must uncompress it before you can use it as I outlined above.

P.P.S. It says so pretty explicitly in the OPNsense install documentation, BTW :wink:
https://docs.opnsense.org/manual/install.html#installation-media

Ok I’m trying, I’ll never finish thanking you, at the moment though I keep seeing the boot manager

one thing: when I created the vm, to the Guest Operating System section I put “linux” maybe it can be helpful, I was advised to do it like this

Is the image and the entire path leading up to it publicly readable on the TN system itself? It looks like there are Windows ACLs on the datasets/directories?

If yes, the VM should boot right into the virtual CDROM … that’s what it does here, sorry.

In that screen in your console session - when you go one up to “boot manager” and hit ENTER, what happens?

yes the dataset has a windows acl.

Below are the step by step pictures of what I see

Should I edit the acl of the VM dataset?

Not the boot maintenance manager - one higher - the boot manager.

About those ACLs - no idea. I don’t use ACLs and I would not transfer a VM image to TrueNAS via SMB but use either scp or download directly from a shell on the NAS. Like so:

cd /mnt/ArchivioRG
fetch https://mirror.ams1.nl.leaseweb.net/opnsense/releases/24.1/OPNsense-24.1-serial-amd64.img.bz2
bzip -d OPNsense-24.1-serial-amd64.img.bz2

And then point my VM Device configuration at that.

This what I see

as far as the advice not to use smb for these things, that seems fair – if it doesn’t work out the way we’re trying, I’ll take your advice

Then hit ENTER for the “bhyve sata DVD” …

nothing happens, it reloads the “page”

Ok, then try my suggested method to download and prepare the install image, please.

OK I did, here’s what I see:

This screenshot is from a friend of mine, who after entering “Boot from file” sees this, which I can’t see

You won’t be using boot from file. You want to set up and boot a virtual CD/DVD device. There’s something different with your setup of that one compared to mine I guess …

Aaaaah! Did you set the boot method of your VM to U(EFI)?

Exactly, doing otherwise would give me error

No, I was wrong. It still gives error, I attach it

No, EFI is the correct one.

I can only set it to UEFI_CSM and UEFI

Set it to UEFI.

1 Like