Scripted Plex Installation

Another scripted installation of mine, this one for Plex Media Server. Script and instructions are here:

2 Likes

Hi Dan
Thank you for the assistance so far.
As per your request… I will put any further questions I have related to the Plex installation script here.

In the basic config file the PLEX_CONFIG_PATH is not defined/added. so it uses a default location of $POOL_PATH/plex_data
is this the folder that plex stores the metadata in that is separate from the jail? So if we update the jail/plex, it will reuse the data in this folder?

Then in saying this… I still have my older plex metadata. Would it be safe to say I could copy the data into this folder and it should re-use it?

Also, what would be the best practice for where the script is run from/downloaded to.
on the pool or in the default root

Yes, this is the path where Plex will store its metadata, and it’s outside of the jail.

I’d expect so.

I really don’t think it matters. I’d probably put it on the pool though.

okay… I THINK I have it all up and running.

I just need to know now how to get the old metadata across (or do you think its best I just start from scratch? I mean… the old metadata is from 2018…I think)

Also, if starting the metadata from scratch. Can I then delete the older metadata… if yes, how?
what would be the best way to do it and to figure out if what I am going to delete is safe to delete.
I created a SMB share to “jails” but I see there is also a “iocage” folder…

The older metadata is likely stored within the old jail, so destroying the old jail should delete the metadata.